WORRY NOT… THE SOLUTION IS HERE.
Before we can learn about the various methods to whiten teeth naturally, we, first of all, need to know what causes yellow/ brown teeth so we can avoid them.
Causes of Yellow Teeth.
- Foods and drinks like tea, red wine, blueberries, and coffee
- Chewing or smoking tobacco.
- Fluoride overuse.
- mouth trauma
- Adverse effects of some mouthwashes and medications.
- Age; the elderly are predisposed to developing yellow teeth.
- Genetics; if your parents have dull teeth, then you’re more likely having dull-looking teeth.
- Poor oral and dental hygiene.
- Lack of saliva and/or extremely dry mouth.
- Diets high in simple carbohydrates and sugar.
While most whitening products remove stains from the surface of your teeth, these natural products will penetrate your teeth, removing stains from the surface and beyond.
Now, there is no need to be scared of eating or drinking wine, coffee, tea, etc that will stain your teeth because you now know what to do to get rid of the stains.
What is really exciting is that most of these natural whitening ingredients are found in your respective kitchens.
Without further ado, let’s jump right into it.
1) Baking Soda and Water.
Proponents of using lemon over water with baking soda explain that lemon’s acidity will be canceled by baking soda’s alkalinity, but one thing they fail to understand is that no one knows the right mixture as this is mixed at home.
To be on the safe side, MIX YOUR BAKING SODA WITH WATER.
- Mix 1 teaspoon (tsp) baking soda and 2 tsp water together.
- Apply the paste on your teeth.
- Let it sit on your teeth for 2-3 minutes.
- Scrub your teeth using your toothbrush and rinse your mouth with water.
Caution: Don’t leave the paste on for more than the time specified as it may start destroying your teeth.
2) Apple Cider Vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar contains malic, lactic, acetic, and citric acids which all combine to erase the brown stains on the teeth revealing its natural glow.
- Mix 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar with 6 ounces of water.
- Swish the solution in your mouth for 30 seconds.
- Repeat 2-3 times in the mornings per week.
- Rinse your mouth with water, then brush your teeth.
3) Banana Peel.
Manganese and Potassium are some minerals found in the banana peel which help to get rid of those stains.
- After eating a banana, use the inner part of its peel to rub on your teeth.
- Gently rub it for about two minutes.
- Brush and rinse your teeth with warm water.
- If you have bananas, repeat once every day or every other day until you achieve your results.
4) Activated Charcoal.
Apart from the uses above, activated charcoal also helps to prevent cavities and maintains the health of your whole mouth.
- Dip a wet toothbrush in activated charcoal.
- Gently brush your teeth making sure to avoid your gums.
- Continue brushing for two minutes
- Then rinse your mouth with water.
- Repeat once or twice a week.
PS: To avoid the hassle of dipping the charcoal into the water every time I want to use it, I use organic activated charcoal toothpaste.
5) Hydrogen peroxide and Baking soda.
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a natural bleaching agent which can be used to whiten the teeth. Other products such as Color safe bleach and whitening toothpaste use H2O2 to whiten clothes and teeth respectively.
H2O2 also removes plaque buildup and kills bacteria.
- Mix 2 tablespoon (tbsp) hydrogen peroxide with 1 tbsp baking soda to form a paste.
- Brush your mouth with this paste.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat twice a week.
Don’t swallow the paste and don’t use it every day.
6) Turmeric Powder.
My answer to you is that Turmeric doesn’t stain your teeth because, to begin with, Turmeric doesn’t stay on the teeth that long. Secondly, you brush your teeth after it has been applied.
Turmeric is a mildly abrasive root which helps to remove stains from your teeth.
In addition, Turmeric strengthens your teeth and gums and is also antibacterial (kills bacteria) in nature.
- Brush your teeth with 1/8 tsp turmeric powder.
- Wait for about 2-3 minutes and then rinse your mouth.
- Then brush with any toothpaste of your choice.
- Repeat for a few days if you desire, but the effects of Turmeric are instant.
Caution: Don’t forget to clean your surroundings as Turmeric stains.
7) Eat crunchy Fruits and Vegetables.
Consuming raw fruits and vegetables with high water content are beneficial as they extract plaque from your teeth and gums that causes yellow teeth.
So eating crunchy fruits and vegetables will whiten your teeth while maintaining your health.
There is no particular time advised to eat fruits and vegetables; if you can, eat them very often.
8) Strawberry and Baking Soda.
High levels of vitamin C can reduce the amount of plaque that causes teeth to become yellow.
- Crush 1 strawberry and combine with 1 tsp baking soda.
- Apply the mixture on your teeth for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse and brush with any toothpaste.
- Repeat once every week.
9) Epsom Salt.
Epson salt also kills bacteria.
Aside from the uses above, Epsom salt can also be used for baths and to massage the feet.
- Mix 1 part Epsom salt and 1 part water ensuring that the salt dissolves completely in the water.
- Brush your teeth with half of the water.
- Dilute the rest of the salt-water solution and gargle with it.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
- Repeat 2-3 times per week.
10) Salt And Lemon For Teeth Whitening.
The salt acts as a gentle exfoliate (gradually removes the stains on the top layer of the teeth).
- Combine 2 teaspoons (tsp) of lemon juice and 1tsp salt.
- Brush your teeth using this mixture.
- Repeat twice per week.
What Are You Waiting For?
Is there any more reason why you shouldn’t give the best of smiles in a picture?… Definitely not.
Just jump right now into your kitchens and whip up some whitening paste for your teeth.
Even if you don’t have any of the ingredients available at home, just purchase them from your nearest grocery store or rather, order them online if you’re time-constraint.
Are there any other natural ways to lighten the teeth that I haven’t listed?
Let us know in the comments below.